Map Relief Sculpture


Map Relief Sculpture

Artist Statement:
     The concept behind this design was a little more personal. I wanted to have a contrasting color pallet, having a harsh contrast between the bright vibrant colors of the 'flowers', and the harsh black background, and the invasion of white. The idea behind it was sexual orientation. I wished to illustrate this battle between sexuality and the repression. The bright colors are piled together at the top of the sculpture, and seemingly flow or fall down to the base, alluding to the overcoming of color and washing away the black. 
     Because I myself struggle with sexual identity, I wanted to make this to present how I am slowly coming to terms with it, as the repression (black) is being forced out or slowly more nonexistent. The addition of the white within the black to to show a weakening in the strength of the harsh dark color, and that the white will eventually turn to color as well. The sculpture itself is 5'9", the same height as myself, creating a more humanistic and stoic quality to the piece. 
     The napkins were utilized for their bright saturated colors, and the texture they brought to the composition. As well, I created waves of paper to create the rapid in and out, up and down of my heart rate when speaking about the subject, doubles with my anxiety. 

Materials List:
  • Foam Board
  • Styrofoam 
  • Multi-colored Napkins
  • Styrofoam
  • Straight Pins
  • Tracing Paper
  • Gel Medium
  • Hot Glue
  • Paper
  • Black Spray Paint
  • Black Acrylic Paint
  • White Acrylic Paint 

Cope with Reality
Dimensions (69' x 16' x 5.5')









In Process-

        




Inspiration-



Adriane Colburn



Ptolemaic Wold Map



Louise Nevelson

Comments

Popular Posts