Memento



Memento
Materials List:
  • Wire
  • Chain

Artist Statement:
     A memento is defined as an object kept to remind us of a personal moment or person. I am thankful enough to be able to struggle with any particular memory that stuck out in my head that was a moment of pain or sorrow. On the contrary, I had a difficult time conducting a memory that was so impactful, that I could manifest a small sculpture of object that I felt related enough to one moment or memory. As I struggled, I had a moment where I realized how much I missed special individuals since I moved away to college. The first person that came to mind was my best friend. Though we only live two hours way from each other, the hustle and bustle of life has taken over, leaving empty communication and lack of contact, so I wanted to create something that kept her a little closer.
     'In Plain Sight' is a play on a monocle. I wanted to create a rendition of sorts for something that aids in or allows sight, for she is the reason I am here, with the academic status that I have. The first two years of high school I struggles a lot: personally, socially, and academically. Near the end of my sophomore year, things only became wore, as I started to fail all classes, and would inevitably be removed from the academically rigorous program I was in. She stepped in and encouraged me to apply for another program that would take part the remaining two years of high school. Because of that push, I applied and was accepted. The next year, I was a full time college student, allowing me to graduate with my two year degree as I graduated from high school simultaneously. This opportunity was right in front of me, and I just needed a little help seeing it, and allow myself to dig myself out of the hole I had put myself in. 
     The eye piece is supported by a small sturdy pice of wire to aid in lifting it to the eye. From there, with in the spiral of the eye piece a small piece of wire jutting out. At the end of the chain that is attached to the monocle, is another pice of sturdy wire, looped so that it can grasp the stray wire, and create an according effect, to narrow the focus of the viewer. 




In Plain Sight
Dimensions: Contracted-(2"x3'x3'), Expanded-(5"x3"x3')




In Process-



Artist Inspiration-




Anthony Roussel


Carrie Dickens

Julia Harrison 

Comments

Popular Posts