Sculpture of Chance


Sculpture of Chance

Materials List:
  • Styrofoam 
  • 2"x4"
  • White Rope 
  • White Paint
  • Black Spray Paint

Artist Statement:
     The challenge of this was to work around a word of chance. From random blind selection, my chosen word was propel. After contemplating how I was going to incorporate this word into a sculpture, I came upon the idea of representing the transition between adolescence and adulthood. This transitional period often times is jarring, and I wished to personify in a way the almost propelling motion into reality of the real world. From there, I envisioned this structure reminiscent of a swing set to allude to childhood, but also this static angular, almost gallows form. 
     From there, I carved out this awkward "swing seat" out of a constructed block of layered styrofoam, with a dip and uneasiness to its appeared structural integrity. After determining my plan of execution, I constructed the support beams, and proceeded to paint it white to adhere the idea of purity and innocence. I danced around the idea between suspending the "swing" from two pieces of roper versus one piece. I opted for the single option looped through the middle of the styrofoam to aid in cutting the box like atmosphere. The "swing" hands at an angle to display the unsteady nature of the unpredictable future. 

Hanging Innocence







In Process:




Comments

Popular Posts