Multiple Panel Drawing


Artist Statement:
     Exploration- that is the primary premise of this project. I wanted to explore my natural inclination towards large scale works that immerse the viewer. I typically revert away from 2-dimensional pieces because I prefer working within space and playing in the 3-dimensional plane, however I wanted to create a 2-D to 3-D work. I wished to take myself out of my comfort zone and explore the inherent theatrical nature of my work and create the space that the viewer can interact with in multiple ways. 
     The final product is a 2-dimensional painting of stairs paired with a railing and banister. Adjacent is a 3-dimensional continuation of the painting with stairs, painted in the same manner of the juxtaposing wall, constructed with the intent of the viewer to walk up and down the stairs, and stand on the landing at the top of the stairs. This is a small exploration into the world of set design for both stage and film- something I have always had an interest in but have never fully explored. However, the primary focus of the piece is to explore and question how an objective viewer relates to pieces of work. Do [we] relate and hold a connection to a piece that holds principle aspects of 'classic' art- that being a painting on a wall- or is there more of a connection to something that occupies the same spacial existence that the [we] occupy, and can interact with.

Materials:

  • Wood
  • Black Paint
  • White Paint
  • Masking Tape


"Material Manifestation"
(96" x 84" x 96")






   
In Process:










See Research and Process under Long Term Project Presentation: 
https://zjacques.blogspot.com/2018/10/long-term-project-presentation.html






Comments

Popular Posts